So, you have decided to move to Canada for further studies. It is a good choice as Canada offers quality education. The country welcomes more than 350,000 students from around the world annually. If you have made up your mind to study at Canadian educational institutions, you must get a study permit. It is a systematic process to get a study permit in Vancouver like in any other Canadian region.
What is the Canada study permit?
Before moving any further, let’s see what actually the Canada study permit is. The name might indicate something about itself, but if not, no worries. It is a document required by foreign nationals if they want to study at designated learning institutions of the country for more than 6 months.
Can anyone apply for a study permit?
Before you apply for a study permit in Vancouver, you must have a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution. The letter ought to be issued by a Canadian institution such as a school district, University, etc. the letter should have a mention of the tuition fees you are required to pay, the starting and finish dates, and the last date to register. After you have got your acceptance letter, you can submit a study permit application.
What do you need for a study permit?
Apart from the acceptance letter from a DLI, you have to demonstrate to the officer that you –
- Fulfill the requirements of IRPA (Immigration and Refugee Protection Act) and its regulations, including leaving the country after you finish your studies.
- Have financial support and its proof for the time you will be studying in Canada
(If the program is a multi-year program, you only need to show the proof of one year of financial support)
- Have no criminal record and you abide by the law (you might be asked for a police clearance certificate).
- Have good health and if required, can get a medical exam
- Have ties to your home country
You must make a progress to complete your program at a DLI. If you fail to do so, it may lead to your removal. Now that you know about the study permit, apply for it.